Subversion was a possible Introversion product which for a period of time was being prototyped. Eventually it was sidelined in favour of a more compelling project. It became relatively well known for its use of procedural city generation, through the blog posts made detailing its prototypical development progress.
Use of Procedural Content Generation Methods
This is a overview of the initial relevant blog posts:
- It's all in your head, Part 3 - The initial city generation efforts.
- It's all in your head, Part 4 - Generation of office buildings.
- It's all in your head, Part 6 - Complete and customisable city generation.
- It's all in your head, Part 7 - More detail about the state of the city generation.
- It's all in your head, Part 8 - More detail on the state of building generation.
In It's all in your head, Part 7 the paper "Procedural modelling of cities" is mentioned as his starting point. And with the last entry, he states that the city generation in general was considered to be in a decent enough state to move onto other aspects of game development.
The Subversion development blog posts are now collected together by Introversion.
PCG Wiki References
Subversion - Wikipedia entry for Subversion.
Subversion Blog Posts - Collection of links to Subversion development blog posts by Chris Delay.
Procedural Modelling of Cities - Yoav I H Parish and Pascal Müller.